Just Look...

Just Look...

Friday, December 9, 2016

Mine.... Reflections on this Semester

I've got this class of all girls this year. Although I always love all of my students, I am a big fan of mixed gender. I believe you need the girls to balance the boys and vice-versa. And I have always said if I had to have a single gender group, give me the boys (which I had in my PRECIOUS Connections boys for two years). This particular class happened semi-accidentally, semi-out of convenience, and semi-out of student request. I agreed to it with the caveat that I could switch back if needed. I can't begin to tell you how fascinating this social experiment has been. I'm different with them. I emphasize different things in the Lit. I guide the conversations in different ways. They are the first group of my day and I have to tell you, it is such a soft and gentle way to begin my school day. I know that it's not solely gender, it's also the mix of these particular girls, the dynamics and personalities. They are just the most kind, respectful, insightful, loving people I have ever had gather in one place.

 I had a group in 2014 that I compared to platelets. Something had happened that had me upset (and hurt and betrayed and so on) and those kids flocked to my side like we were magnets. They sat with me and talked to me and checked on me and I hadn't even said a word to them about what was happening, they just sensed it. Later I was describing the situation and my relationship with them to another person and I said they are like platelets. Platelets rush to the scene of the injury and they clot the blood. That's exactly what those 2014 kids did for me. 

This group of girls has similar qualities. If I had to make an analogy for them, it would be that they feel like home. When I am in their presence, I feel comfortable and safe and loved. To be honest, they do for me what I try to do for all of my students. I want my classes and students  to see me and my classroom as a refuge. I don't know if these girls will ever understand that they make it easier for me to do that for others all day long by doing it for me first thing every day. 

This semester has been a gift for me. I have been split in 3 major ways since August and my students have not only been forgiving of that, they have been excited for me and interested in our circumstances. Teacher-moms always feel pulled between school and home. I've been pulled between school and home and an adoption (and all the paperwork, fundraising, worry, and emotion that comes with that). And my kids in all of my classes have made things as easy as possible for me. They are gentle and kind souls, eager learners, slow to complain and quick to connect. My AP classes are incredible, my English IV class is darling, and my Holocaust Lit class intriguing. I don't know what I did to deserve the 87 kids who grace Room 222 every day, but I am so grateful they are mine. 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment