Just Look...

Just Look...

Friday, April 14, 2017

The First Skype Call *a month or so ago now*

*** I wrote this after our first Skype call but needed to wait to publish until now for several reasons.***

March, 2017
It isn't often that I am at a loss for words but I am. And I probably should wait to write this until I have some but it's important to me to capture my feelings right now, just after this moment. 

We just met you for the first time. You are..... perfection. You are adorable and gentle and funny and kind and you interact with each other in the cutest way. I am.... breathtakingly, pinwheeling, madly in love. When you called me "Mom" something inside me melted and I'm pretty sure it just stayed puddled up inside the rest of the call. 

We were nervous at the beginning, as were you, and the call wasn't without a few awkward silences and some clarification moments, but it was an incredible hour. We talked about food and sports and favorite colors and hobbies and school subjects and music and geography and Cleveland and people and food (yes, again) and then Emma asked you if you liked socks. 😳 We all stared awkwardly at her, as did you, and I tried to bail her out by saying, "it's so hot there, they don't even wear socks I bet" and F stuck his socked foot up and said, "Yes we do!" 😂 

I was a nervous wreck for two days anticipating this call but the moment your beautiful faces popped up on that screen, I was home. I saw every prayer I have ever prayed (even before I knew they were for YOU) reflected in your eyes and I saw every moment of our future in your smiles. 

Ending the call was bittersweet because it was incredibly physically and emotionally draining and when it was over, we all four just slumped in our seats. But as Kraig reached out to hit the button, I just wanted to reach through the screen and hold you. It will be two weeks before we talk again and who knows how many until we can wrap our arms around you. I feel like I've waited my whole life for this and I don't want to close my eyes on this day. 

Brad Paisley has a song called "Today" that perfectly expresses my feelings. 
"And I don't know about tomorrow
Right now the whole world feels right
And the memory of a day like today
Can get you through the rest of your life

I know it won't always be like this
Life can change as quick as a kiss
It's not over yet and I already miss
Today."

Brad Paisley must have had a night like tonight when he wrote that song. Every time I think I've seen the best of God, He shows me something else. So incredibly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment