Just Look...

Just Look...

Friday, December 20, 2019

A Red and Green Decision

It's December 20.

I have read so many people lately who are posting about keeping things simple during the holiday season, about letting go of the rush and the traditions and just cherishing time.

And I think that's very valid, so valid that in the midst of the most rushed Christmas season I can remember (which I likely say every year because I can't ever remember how bad it truly was the last time-- it's like childbirth), I decided to follow that advice.

There are several things that I let go of this year in favor of a simpler season and more time to just survive.

What I have realized on this December 20 that feels, not like 5 days before Christmas but like just any day in the early winter, is that I need the traditions. I need the markers, the little bit of liturgy, the rhythms that have always marked the seasons for me and that cause my brain and my body to pause and remember that it's not just early winter, it's CHRISTMAS.

If what works for you is slowing down and cutting some things out... do it.

But if what you need in order to feel the excitement of the season rather than just numb is to plan the events and nod to the traditions and give yourself the anticipation... do it.

One thing I try to emphasize to my kids at home and my kids at school is that a hugely important part of adult life is learning what works for you. And then doing it.

So next year, count us back in for the Polar Express Lights Night (which we may still work in), decorating our porches, turning on the tree lights every day when we get home, hosting a Christmas party, participating in RACK, and taking on a benevolence project.

And because I think it was the late Thanksgiving that messed me up so badly, I have set reminders on my phone for next year to tell me when I need to start this or that preparation so as not to be caught off-guard and then end up scrapping things next year.

I have learned that I'm a Christmas Tradition girl, and next year is going to feel a lot more red and green than this year has so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment