Just Look...

Just Look...

Sunday, January 15, 2023

"Moses My Servant is Dead."

 My pastor preached today out of Joshua. It was a powerful sermon, focused on the command that the Lord gives Joshua (and Joseph, and Peter, and Job and many others) to "ARISE!"

But I'm going to be honest, I struggled to get past the first words of Joshua 1:

"After the death of Moses, the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses' aide: "Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them-- to the Israelites."

In my personal devotional time, I'm doing a study on the book of Exodus. So I'm all tied up with Moses in my heart. I relate so much to Moses in the beginning of his call, when he proclaims his fear of speaking and begs God to find someone else. I think Moses was probably someone who struggled a little with anxiety and a lack of self-confidence, so it means all the more to me that the Lord used him to do these incredible things I am reading about every day. Yesterday my reading was about the Passover, and the absolutely human and very unholy thought I had as I read was, "Oh my gosh, these directions are SO SPECIFIC! I would never have been able to remember what to tell the people to do, and heaven knows people in today's time would never have listened and followed the directions!"

But as I see Moses do allllllll of these things, or more specifically see God do alllllllll of these things through Moses, I am a perfect illustration of dramatic irony because I know the ending, the things that Moses and his people did not know when they were living it. I know that Moses, as much as he trusted God and accomplished for him, did not get to see the Promised Land. He died in the desert.

He died in the desert. There wasn't a homecoming for him, a congratulatory party, a book signing, an awards ceremony... just a discouraging death in a dry place, not having seen the end of the story. His story ended in the desert. 

Joshua's story started with the entry into the Promised Land, but as my pastor preached today, it wasn't all "promise". A lot of it was "problem", like having people who angered God and having to circumcise grown men. And honestly, that beginning isn't exactly auspicious. "Moses, my servant, is dead. Now then you..." Not, "Hey, Joshua! You are the guy! I've been so excited for you to lead these people because I knew you were the best man for the job." Nope, more "Moses was my number one man, and he messed up, so now it's on you. And you're not exactly a number one, you're more of a number two. But even number one couldn't do it without messing up, so... good luck, number two." (I know that's not what He was saying, but Joshua was a human and I'm sure it sounded a little like that to him.)

I think sometimes I get really wrapped up on what seems "fair". I am a big fan of closure. I like neat and tidy beginnings and endings. If Moses started the journey, then it seems only right that Moses get to finish it, not this second-string Joshua guy. (And listen, I actually love Joshua and his story is one of my favorites. But for right now, I'm thinking of Moses.)

But what I often forget is that the journey, the story, goes far beyond one career or one lifetime or one generation, even. The story stretches the entire scope of humanity. And while it may seem only fair to me that I get to see the fruition of the labors I engage in, I might not. And I also might mess up and someone else may have to take the mantle from me. 

I don't think Moses died feeling slighted. The Lord showed him all that would belong to Israel, and the Bible says his eyes nor his strength were weak. It goes on to say that no one else has done what Moses did in the eyes of the Lord. The will of the Lord stretches far beyond one man or one lifetime. Moses had a part to play, a huge part, and he played it so well. Then Joshua's part started. And on it went, person after person. And it continues today with me and with you.



No comments:

Post a Comment