Just Look...

Just Look...

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Tuesday Thoughts

Tuesday was a day consisting of 8 hours of study of anti-Semitism. We started with ancient history and worked our way all the way to modernity. I think what struck me the most from Tuesday was the .... contrast, I guess is the best word... between the view of Christians in regard to anti-Semitism that was presented versus the view I have of Christians in regard to anti-Semitism. And, it made me wonder if being from an evangelical tradition is part of what gives me a different perspective. We watched a film called "The Longest Hatred" and, before we watched it, he told us that Christians would likely be offended by it. First of all, I wasn't. I am well aware of the ways that religion has served as a weapon throughout history and I have seen the propaganda regarding Christians and Jews. However. This is not the reality I see from my own people today. The overwhelming feeling of Christians I know is one of great support for Israel and her people. I see people with pro-Israel bumper stickers, I get an email from an organization called "Christians United for Israel". Now, I understand that support of Israel does not necessarily make you a card-carrying member of the Jewish fan club, but it also certainly make an anti-Semitic sentiment rather impossible.

My very favorite Tuesday session was the last one on Intellectuals and anti-Semitism in the Modern World. He allowed a question and answer session at the end and it was so very interesting. One thing that he stated that I would like to use in class discussion, and something people frequently ask me about, is what makes the Holocaust unique as compared to other genocides. His answer (and I'm not 100% I agree with all of it, but that's what will make it great for my kids to analyze):
1. the fanaticism leading up to the genocide
2. the racist/religious approaches
3. an established hatred that was worldwide
4. the intensity of the destruction
5. the speed of the destruction

Tuesday night we got to go on a tour of the Western Wall tunnels. This is something the girls and Kraig and I didn't get to do, so I was really excited and it was truly an incredible feeling, to be underneath the modern world and so much closer to the historical one. It was also fun to do something with our entire group and be able to spend some time getting to know people. There are several really sweet girls here that I hope to get to know better and of course, my roommate ROCKS.


















No comments:

Post a Comment