Just Look...

Just Look...

Friday, November 8, 2019

I Remember

Today is the anniversary of the storm that took my three children’s first parents and their little sister. It’s also the anniversary of the storm that took their home and everyone they knew from their lives, as they moved across the world three years later.

On this day, although I’m never sure about how they are going to respond to it (most years they mention the date, although this year no one has and I take my cues from them so I didn’t bring it up), I remember.

I remember a man and a woman whom I never met, but who brought into this world three of the greatest kids I have ever known, a man and a woman who raised those three the very best they could in the circumstances they were given... A man and a woman who made mistakes, no doubt, just as we all do, but who must have loved these three very much because these three very much know how to love and be loved... A man and a woman who would probably love to see the teenagers and young adult their three babies became... A man and a woman whom we will always try to honor with the ways we cherish and raise their kids.

I remember a little girl who didn’t live on earth very long (just four or five years), but who left a lasting impact and forever memories with her big sister and big brothers. I remember a little girl whom I’ve never seen but who I imagine to have had Angela’s beautiful face and Roman’s mischievous eyes and Francisco’s bright smile. I remember a little girl whose likeness may one day show up in the face of one of my grandchildren, her nieces or nephews. I remember Francis May, and I know that one day I will see her running down the streets of heaven, yelling “Kuya!” and “Ate!” when she sees her Francisco and Roman and Angela again.

On this day, I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment