Just Look...

Just Look...

Sunday, November 3, 2019

Dream Progress

Since I have committed to writing in November, I decided to take some time today to reread some of my previous posts. I happened upon this one (Doing a Little Dreamin') from September, 2013, and what a shot in the arm it was for me! In that post, I listed ten dreams I had for my future. Of those ten dreams, five of them have already been fulfilled, and most of those five in a more dramatic and intense fashion than I would have even hoped. I really needed a reminder that, even when it feels like I'm treading water (or worse, moving BACKWARDS), I'm not. Things are happening. Dreams are being fulfilled. And if I spend too much time looking at what I have not done, I miss the things I have. 

This is another really great argument for the benefit of journaling and writing. I wouldn't have remember what I was hoping for in September of 2013 if I had not taken the time to list it. Below is my list of dreams from that post and what the status of those dreams stands at today...

Original List:
I would love to, probably after retirement, work with a non-profit (or even START a non-profit). Absolutely still a dream of mine, and probably one I desire even more strongly in 2019 than I did in 2013. 

Just one time, I would like to work with refugees in an active area... like today along the Syrian border. Again, still a dream and one I desire even more. In fact, I made the statement the other day that I would really like to travel to Syria and some people overheard me and laughed, saying, "That's not really a statement you hear people make." However, I would love to see this dream fulfilled.

I want to do something amazing with my camera. I want that one picture that tells a story that matters to the world. Preferably of a child or an event of historic or societal significance. Yep, still have a dream of photojournalism. Still feel haunted by the one picture I did not take, but that lives in my mind, a photo that honestly could have possible been that one that told a story that mattered to the world. Until that day, though, I'll just use my camera to document the lives of those I love more than anything.

I would like to work in some aspect with people working against crimes against humanity. Still a dream, but maybe one that has changed a little bit. I have developed a strong interest in the fight against human trafficking, the injustices of our criminal justice system, in prison ministry, and in drug/alcohol recovery. One of these areas might be the ones that this dream evolves into.

✅I hope that at some point soon, I will get to teach with someone who was my student. In my department. Thank you, Kaitlyn Poulakis, for making this dream a reality!

✅I want to visit many, many, many more countries. Have added several more countries to my list since this post and will be adding even more this summer! Dream in progress!

✅I'd like to travel the entire US. Have seen much more of the US, have a plan to see more soon, and am always moving toward checking off the full 50!

✅I want the four of us to go on a family mission trip. Preferably many of them. Have taken Emma to Cambodia, Kelsey to Cambodia, then traveled there this summer with 6 of our 7!

✅This one is not a secret to anyone who knows me, but it's not something I talk about too much because I keep it very close to my heart. I hope and pray that one day the calling I feel that God placed on my life when I was just a very young child will come to fruition and we will adopt a child. 2 years and 11 months after typing this list, we saw a video of our kids for the first time. Except not ONE child, but THREE. And not CHILDREN, but TEENS. Look at God!

I desperately want to write a book. A real one. With a real publisher and real buyers. :) This is the one I hold dear right now. I pray that one day, I'll revisit this very list and put a checkmark beside this point.


I think it's important sometimes to just sit down and think about your dreams. Some of these are relatively simple and I know I can accomplish them. Others are far more complex and I have no idea if they will come to be. Still others involve other people and dynamics and depend on the support of many more beyond myself. No matter how they play out, they occupy places in my heart right now. And there they will continue to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment